Friday, September 2, 2011

Garbage Dump: The Golden(Eye) Goose

Goldeneye. A decent enough new age James Bond flick that launched Remington Steele into Hollywood and spawned one of the greatest console games and first person shooters of all time. So really it's no wonder people are still trying to milk the shit out of it.

Since the movie and Nintendo 64 game in 95 and 97 respectively, we have had a shitty game called GoldenEye: Rogue Agent that had nothing to do with the movie but was purely trying to cash in on the success of the N64 game. It failed.


Then last year we had a 're-imagining' of the original game that was updated with new graphics, new levels, replaced Brosnan with Craig and new gameplay. They basically tried to turn the original Goldeneye into Call of Duty.

And now they are releasing this same game on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 but with better graphics and a new game mode called MI-6. Reveal trailer and MI-6 trailer below:





Now, I am a huge Bond fan (who isn't really) and I hold very fond memories of the original GoldenEye game. So when I see half arse attempts like this to cash in on the greatness of the original game I am more than a little bit pissed off. This new game is trying to turn one of the greatest console games into a Call of Duty clone and I don't like it. The graphics don't even look that good for a modern shooter.

Q: Looks pretty good for a Wii game.

Hurry up and sort out all the legal issues there are involving who has the rights to these games and characters and then just release a port of the original game on XBLA, Virtual Console and PSN. Then and only then will I be happy.

Q: The issues will never be sorted out as long as their are four companies involved in the original game and the Bond franchise. To be honest I'm just happy with the memories of the game. Or that's what I'm telling myself.

Until that time I will continue playing Perfect Dark on the XBLA. Still an amazingly fun game.

No comments:

Post a Comment